Bright green nutritious goodness! I really fancied some comfort food just before we came to France, I was cold and wanted more than soup so I whipped this up in a few minutes and it gave me everything I needed. Plus it is so simple and quick! It is also perfect if you are cooking a non vegan pasta dish for your friends or family and need a sauce which is vegan and won't make you feel like your making an entirely different meal. I actually made this a few days ago in France when Hendriks brother was cooking up a carbonara.
All you need is:
1 x avocado
3 large handfuls of spinach
5 leaves of basil
1 handful pinenuts
1/2 juice of a lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp olive oil
2 heaped tbsp Engevita Yeast Flakes (see my Vegan Lasagne recipe for where to buy)
1 x vegan spaghetti serving (or how ever many you are making for - if you do make for more, make sure you amend the above ingredients or your sauce won't go very far)
You will need some kind of blender, a magimix or perhaps a nutribullet would work.
1. Thoroughly wash the spinach and leave in strainer. Boil the kettle and once boiled pour over the spinach until it wilts. Leave to strain.
2. Scoop out the avocado (discarding the skin and stone) and place in blender with spinach, pine nuts, olive oil, lemon juice, pinch of salt and pepper, yeast flakes. Blend until smooth.
3. Taste and see if you want to add more yeast flakes to make it cheesier or salt/pepper.
4. Cook the pasta as per the packet instructions.
5. Strain the pasta, return to pan and on a low heat add the pesto sauce. Heat through, make sure it doesn't burn.